Sunday 22 April 2012

Back from the dead...

So when I was a young teen I was really into Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000, Inquisitor and Lord of the Rings models and games. For a fair few years I collected, made, painted and gamed with them almost religiously, spending almost every penny I had on those cool little minis.

Unfortunately when I hit my mid teens I decided to quit and get out of the hobby, I boxed up some things and threw the rest away, never really intending to ever get back in to the hobby - only keeping a couple armies for the sake of eBay.

The boxed up stuff was chucked into the garage and the rest into a skip... end of story.

Well... until now. Reaching my mid 20s now I've decided to get back into the hobby, I always really enjoyed it and to be honest, only quit because of what other people said about it - which is a shame, but when you're that age that kind of stuff really matters to you. Well I've grown up now, gotten rid of those judgmental friends and no longer care what people think. Feels bad saying this stuff, but it is the case. So I'm back to the hobby with renewed vigour and excitement! (it was actually my girlfriend who suggested I get back into it!... though nobody knows that secretly over the last few years I've occasionally gone back to the GW website to have a snoop around and see whats what.)

The only problem is salvaging whats left of my vast empire of models. Now as far as I can remember, my collection was as follows:

- Tau
- Space Marine
- Grey Knights
- Space Wolves
- Imperial Guard

^ these were all complete 1500-2000 point armies. I also had...
- many 54mm Inquisitor models
- LOTR Rohan Army
- LOTR Gondor Army
- loads of LOTR hero models
- loads of other sets of models such as Gaunt's Ghosts, Schaffer's (sp?) Last Chancers, cool models here and there (such as the 'new' [back in the day!] metal Calgar and Honour Guard set)

I also had all the rulebooks and codexes that applied to my armies.

Finally I also had a massive box of bits covering every single range and filling up quite a bit of space!

I remember putting all of these into boxes (I may have thrown out the plastic LOTR stuff... really can't remember after all this time!) and putting all my 'favourites' into one box and keeping it in my room.

That was back when I was living at my parents place, Ive since grown up and moved out... so I'm going to have to go back there soon and check out whats what!

Until then I've been looking at the GW website.. and wow things have changed! Prices have shot up, well, MASSIVELY. They've also stopped making metal models and replaced them with this 'finecast' malarky?! Whaaaat? And the entire paint range has been replaced and renamed? Great.

First of all, why stop making the metal models? I get that finecast is more detailed bla bla bla, but metal was also like having a shiny pokemon card... it was just better! I cherished all my metal models, they had a nice feel to them - nice and weighty. The plastic stuff would always blow over even if you just breathed on it. That sucks.

Secondly, replacing the names of paints? How is that useful?! I know theres a conversion chart.. but still, come on. That was unnecessary.

Thirdly, the price hike is ridiculous. GW was always expensive, now its just stupid. Im not going to say any more on the matter. Actually, I am. RIDICULOUS! When I last collected a Space Marine Tactical squad was £15. Now its £23?! Are you freaking kidding me?! Or look at the 54mm Artemis... that used to be £15, now its £20.50?! And also GW, what with the random prices with strange pennies on the end? What happened to round pounds? Everything seems to have gone up between £5 and £10. Even the old Necromunda Kal Jerico and Scabbs used to be.. what? £8? Now its £12.30! And seriously, THIRTY PENCE?! Is GW just trying to scrape every penny from us?! The only price change I can't complain about is the Valkyrie, which is now £40... I swear back on Force World a few years ago it was more like £80. Though I could be wrong. Dunno...

But what is cool is how some Forge World stuff has moved across to the 'mainstream' GW range... such as the Valkyrie. I LOVED that thing back in the day, and it WILL be one of the first purchases I make. Theres some other really cool new stuff, I like the new multi bit Grey Knights and Terminators, and the Space Wolves Lords on wolves are really cool. The new guard Commissars are pretty sweet as well. Guess theres some stuff Im going to want to get!

The new codexes... I have mixed feelings about. Ive had a look at them. They've gotten rid of the Deamonhunters and Witchhunters and just replaced them with Grey Knights? I don't like that. The old armies allowed you to basically mix Inquisition, Grey Knights and Imperial Guard into a nicely varied army... can you not do that anymore?! Also some of the changes to the Tau are crap. I swear the old codex allowed you to include humans as auxiliaries? or was that a supplement? I like the new Vespids, but not sure on this new take on Tau not being so 'good' anymore. Now I know many people will argue the 'grim dark' angle, but the Tau were made to be goodies! That was their THING! Anyway... Im half tempted to just ignore some of the new fluff.

Anyway, enough ranting, I'm gonna go reclaim my models!

No comments:

Post a Comment