Monday 23 April 2012

Rangers Rehash

So after finally getting a look at the Imperial Guard codex I realised that my Rangers weren't organised correctly.

It turns out that an entire platoon comprises just one troop slot, and that a platoon consists of a command squad, troop squads, special weapon squads and heavy weapon squads.

So using my leftover troops (and realising that they worked out exactly right for numbers, and that this must have been my intention when i bought them) I reorganised as follows.

Infantry Platoon:
Command Squad - Officer, standard bearer, medic, plasma gun, vox caster
3 shock troop squads
2 special weapon squads (6 men each, one team with 3 meltaguns and one team with 3 plasma guns)
2 heavy weapon teams (6 men each, 3 heavy weapons each)

I also realised that the veterans form a troop choice, which is good seeing as how the platoon only counted as one choice. So I added a second team of veterans (again using my Gaunt's Ghosts models... I didn't have a sergeant, so I took the Corbec model with his broken lasgun and turned it into a shotgun)

I didn't have a spare vox caster for the platoon command squad, so had to fiddle a bit.... I snipped the lasgun trooper from my Basilisk and replaced him with the old metal Cadian commander, then took a vox set from a Ghost trooper and stuck it to his back, then nicked a base from my ONLY spare model which was a cadian grenadier.


So everything worked out pretty well!

Final army composition is this then:

HQ:
Command Squad (5 men plus psyker)

Elite:
Kasrkin Stormtroopers (10 men)

Troop:
Infantry Platoon
-- Command squad (5 men)
-- 3 10-man Shock Troop Squads
-- 2 6-man Special Weapon Squads
-- 2 6-man Heavy Weapon Squads
2 Veteran Squads (10 men each)

Fast Attack:
Sentinel
Chimera

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ
Basilisk

(that entire right hand column of troop consists of just that one platoon, which is a single troop choice.... crazy! The left hand column is the rest of the army, plus the vehicles. Ignore the Land Raider, thats for the Space Marines!)

That gives a grand total of 95 soldiers! Counting the 3 tanks and sentinel, thats 99 models... I might have to get them a commissar or something just to make it an even 100 - or use that Valkyrie I want! Sweet! (compared to my Tau and Space Marine armies, which are about 50-60 models each)

On a side note... my hammerhead which was paint stripped got dettol all inside its troop compartment, and no matter how much I wash it and let it dry, it still stinks of dettol. Hmm :/

No comments:

Post a Comment